Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Scarlet Pimpernel, Baroness Emmuska Orczy


This is a classic I was never assigned in school, and only vaguely knew about (thanks to BBC comedy Blackadder, if I'm honest). I'm so grateful to the folks at Should Have Read Classics for suggesting this for our May read!

I love campy action stories with intrigue and romance! I was attracted to this story because of it's dangerous setting, yes; who doesn't find France's Reign of Terror years interesting? I also enjoyed this story because it's a love story. Not your typical 'young girl meets dashing man' love story in the vein of Dumas, no... but husband and wife realizing how they've misjudged each other. There's something special about what happens to Percy and Marguerite's relationship as the story unfolds!

Yes, the plot is awfully predictable, but this isn't the sort of novel that should leave you feeling shocked or overworked. It's entertaining and theatrical for fun's sake! I don't know that I'll brave the other sixteen or so League of the Scarlet Pimpernel novels; maybe I'll get around to reading books like Kidnapped and Robinson Crusoe now!

No comments:

Post a Comment